Tuesday 8 September 2009

The steps to bedtime

My darling Doodlebug,
every evening after tea and some playtime, you and I climb the stairs. We play splashing-in-the-bathtub and hair-washing and teeth-cleaning. We play wrestle-the-baby whilst I try to put your nappy and PJs on. You play on the rocking chair whilst I play try-and-brush –the-baby’s-hair. And once we are done, I give you your dummy and your Blankie and pull you onto my lap for my favourite part of the day.
At the last count, you had over 200 books in your bedroom, so it’s jolly hard to chose which two to read to you. We read the books and look at the pictures and I ask you to find the doggy or the birdie or the flower in the picture. Then the books are finished and I dim the lights. You cuddle in to my chest and I sing the song that I have sung to you since you were born:
Baby mine, don't you cry
Baby mine, dry your eyes
Rest your head close to my heart
Never to part, baby of mine

Little one when you play
Don't you mind what you say
Let those eyes sparkle and shine
Never a tear, baby of mine

If they knew sweet little you
They'd end up loving you too
All those same people who scold you
What they'd give just for
The right to hold you

From your head to your toes
You're not much, goodness knows
But you're so precious to me
Cute as can be, baby of mine.
By this point, you are usually very mellow- you know the routine so well by now, but I can’t let you go to bed without telling you how much you are loved. It’s always the same thing:
Are you sleepy my baby, my special baby? Do you know what makes you so special? They took all the love that Daddy has for Mamma, and all the love that Mamma has for Daddy, and they mixed it up, and they made you my darling baby. That’s what makes you so special. You are made with love. Daddy loves you, and Mamma loves you [any overnight guests are also inserted at this point!] and Nuggety-noodles [your precious dog] loves you. We all love you so much Doodlebug. So you go to sleep and have lovely dreams [at this point I offer a silent prayer that you will last until 7am] and your Mamma and Daddy will see their special baby in the morning.

And I kiss you and put you in bed with your teddies and cover you with the duvet.

And sometimes you even sleep until 7am!

All my love,
Mamma
xxx

No comments:

Post a Comment